Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Still in holiday mode

Although we have been home for 17 days, I still feel as though I'm in holiday mode. I've been sleeping unusually well, going to bed around 11 pm and not waking until about 6-6:30 am, which is very unusual for me.

The cold weather, plus the fact that we have a roller blind in our bedroom that blackens the room completely and the lack of free singing from mosques, is responsible. I guess I'm also relaxed about being home and back in my own bed. No place like home eh?

We wake up for a leisurely breakfast of rolled oats or toast with marmalade or vegemite and then sit and decide what we are going to tackle for the day. Today we tackled our ensuite cleaning it from top to bottom and shortly I am to return to the garage to repack my trunk, the contents of which I pulled out last night finding stuff I never knew I had.

Yesterday I pumped up the tyres of my beloved bike and relocated a couple of bookshelves.

Tory's bedroom has become my office. Most mornings I go there, shut the door and turn on one of our small heaters and work on the computer until Chris gets up an hour or so later. When the sun rises around 7 am, it shines through the window making it a glorious place to be while the rest of the house is cold.

Friday we have a guy coming to discuss installation of two new split-level, reverse cycle airconditioners that will make heating the place a bit easier. They will also be handy for the hot weather when it hits in the next couple of months.

Tomorrow Christina is off to the hospital to complete all the paperwork for her return to work on 21 August and I'm off to Meredith's place to install some blinds. It's all go here.

We won't be really settled in our house until our container arrives on 13 August with our lounge and spare chairs and some additional clothing.

Before we know it it will be Christmas.

Stay well and if you are on holidays from the UAE, enjoy the rest of your leave and have a safe return journey.

Robin

PS: We found out recently that there is a Northern Territory election on 9 August, so we are having to get up to date with local political issues so we can cast our votes for the best candidate.

3 comments:

Someone in Al Ain said...

hi , thanks for your comments , i am a bit feeling better now.

it's so nice to hear that you are still on holiday mode .. Smile ..nothing better than that eh!

all the best for you.., today was raining here ..but still hot as it is!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you've arrived home safely from your travels and are enjoying the comforts of home. I agree with you - 'there's no place like home.' Christmas will come early when your container arrives next week - with it will come a myriad of memories of your years in the UAE. Enjoy!

Tina Miranda said...

Dear Mr. Henry,

We are a family of 4 based in Kuwait and processing our immigration to Alice Springs, Australia.

Could you probably guide us in this regard. We do not have any contact in Alice Springs as most of our friends are based in the main cities.

My email is viretisha@gmail.com. We are indians by origin and have been in the gulf for almost a decade. I work in the health care industry as a HR personnel and my spouse as a Merchandiser in Retail.

We look forward to hearing from you,
Regards,
Tina Miranda